Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Finding the Right Tool

The other day Sister Tuckett and I were helping a member of the ward with some simple service. We were asked to take the old license plates off of a car and put new ones on. We were given the tools necessary to accomplish the job and sent outside to do it. After just a few seconds of trying to loosen the screws I realized we didn't have the right size of screw driver to accomplish the job. Being my stubborn self I tried to make it work. After several minutes of miserably failing I finally gave up and realized I couldn't do it. I needed the right tool. After swallowing my pride I finally went in and asked for a different screw driver. When I had the right tool, what should have taken no longer than five minutes ended up taking close to fifteen minutes, the job was done in no time. As we walked back into the house I couldn't help but think how much easier it would have been had I asked for a different tool right when I realized what we had wasn't going to work.  It made me think; how often have I made things harder on myself because I wasn't using the "right tool"

I know we have been given all the right tools in order to be successful in this life. Its up to us whether or not we choose to use them. When we came to earth we were given tools to help us such as; a family, prayer, the Holy Ghost, the Scriptures, and Prophets. Five major tools but not close to all of the ones that are out there. As we go through life it is up to us to choose to use them. To learn the function of each one and how each one can best help us. Some are better for certain tasks. As we get familiar with them the more we learn and realize how they can help us. I hope I can learn from my mistakes. Learn more about the tools I have available at my grasp and take advantage. I know that as I do, the Lord will bless me and will make anything possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment